How to zip and unzip files
what to do with compressed files
Some files are compressed to make them smaller.
This process is also known as ‘zipping’ the files.
It also makes them quicker to download.
You can also zip up a number of different files into one – which is called an ‘archive’.
1. To deal with zipped files, you need a special program called a ‘utility’.
2. Two of the best known are UltimateZip and WinZip
3. They are often available free on magazine cover disks.
4. Alternatively, you can download from a free software site.
5. Go to tucows for instance. Look for ‘Compression Utilities’.
6. I use UltimateZip, which is free.
1. Zipped files will have a .zip filename extension.
2. Click on the item you want to download.
3. Your browser will open a dialogue box.
4. You should then save the file – for example
5. This puts the file into a folder called TEMP.
1. Start up your zip utility program.
2. Choose FILE\OPEN, and locate your zipped file.
3. In our example it’s C:\TEMP\filename.zip
4. Choose EXTRACT FILES from the menu bar.
5. Extract files to C:\SOMENAME
6. It all happens very quickly!
7. Then open a program which will read your files.
8. This could be a web browser for .htm files.
9. It could be MS Word for .doc files.
10. Don’t worry if anything goes wrong…just repeat the steps above.
1. First put your file(s) into a folder.
2. This collection is sometimes called an ‘archive’.
3. Start up your zip utility program.
4. Select FILE/NEW – or FILE/New Archive.
5. Create a name for your zipped files.
6. Decide where to save your zipped files.
7. You can create a new folder, or use the existing.
8. Then select and add all the files you wish to place in the zipped archive.
9. Press OK – and newfiles.zip is created.
10. The originals – file-01.htm, file-02.htm, and file-03.htm – are still in their folder C:\DEMO
11. But you also have a copy of them, compressed into newfiles.zip
12. Have fun!
- Improve your Writing Skills (.pdf)
Improve your writing skills – now! Improve your English and your communication skills. Learn how to write with clarity and style. Choose the most effective vocabulary. Make every word count with clear grammar and punctuation. This book will show you how to write good sentences and paragraphs, plus how to structure your writing. Overcome writer’s […]
If you found this article interesting you might want to Tell-A-Friend.